SEASON RUNS: Feb 20, 2017 to May 10, 2017
PRACTICE TIMES: Monday and Wednesday, 6:00 - 8:00:pm
Novice Team (New and Newer Wrestlers) Age: 6-10 6pm to 7pm
Senior Team (Experienced Wrestlers) Age: 11-14 7pm to 8pm
(Note: 1st Practice on Feb 20, 2017 - 6:30-8:00pm, will be a combined practice for ALL wrestlers.)
PLACE: Viera High School auxiliary wrestling room
(Please enter through high school gym and through school court-yard).
Viera Pride Youth Wrestling Club (VPYWC) Philosophy/Code of Conduct/General Information
* Philosophy: Athlete/skills development with goal of building a competitive program. We also will focus on trying to keep it FUN - we realize they are young kids.
* Equipment: Headgear is a requirement. Youth headgear is available at Sports Authority and possibly others (Dick's) for $15. Wrestling shoes are recommended but optional – clean sneakers are ok – the goal is to keep the mats as clean as possible (see Hygiene below). Shorts and tee-shirts are fine for practices. HAVE THEM BRING SOMETHING TO DRINK SO WE CAN KEEP THE KIDS HYDRATED DURING PRACTICES AND THIS WILL AVOID LONG LINES AT THE WATER FOUNTAIN.
* Behavior/Code of Conduct: Mutual respect between coaches, athletes, and parents is expected. Coaches will discipline (e.g. through drills, running, etc.) unacceptable behavior and reward (e.g. through fun drills) acceptable behavior. We will make it fun, but there is a discipline aspect to wrestling as we need the kids' attention since this is a full contact sport. Parents should not get on the mats unless called by a coach.
* Communication: Email will be the primary mode of communication. If practice is cancelled for some reason we will send out an email to let people know. Please make sure you have provided your email address to the Club.
* Hygiene: It is very important that the athletes carry their wrestling shoes in and put them on in the wrestling room before going on the mats to keep the mats clean. After practices athletes need to get home and shower. Please let a coach know if any athlete has a cut or rash so it can be evaluated prior to wrestling/practicing.
* Practices: A parent/guardian must be present at practices or provide a coach with a means of contact (and let us know you will not be there) in the event of an injury or illness requiring attention.
* Scrimmages/Matches: VPYWC strives to arrange combined scrimmages, dual meets, and/or tournaments with other clubs in the area to build competition but we cannot guarantee availability of other clubs and facilities. VPYWC will strive to get all of the kids mat time when duel meets, scrimmages, and/or scrimmages are scheduled, but realize that having kids available in the proper weight classes from the opposing side is out of our control.
* Volunteers: We will accept help from any parents willing to pitch in to keep the kids focused during practice and help them with wrestling moves. You do not need to know wrestling to help out! Anyone interested in helping please see a coach.